Tips for the client:
- Make a plan ahead of time for coping with stressful situations.
- Pick a day for stopping that will be relatively stress-free and stick to this date.
- Think positively – you can do it – and concentrate on the benefits of not smoking.
- Take it one day at a time.
- Congratulate yourself frequently.
- Ask a friend to stop with you and support each other.
- Remember that using NRT doubles the chances of quitting and lessens withdrawal symptoms.
- Avoid visiting places where you usually smoke (when you first stop smoking).
- Keep yourself busy and try to increase your level of physical activity.
- Count or save the money you would have spent on cigarettes and treat yourself to something special.
- Don’t try “just one” cigarette – it will take you back to the beginning.
Addiction and Mental Health
Integrating Smoking Cessation into Daily Nursing Practice
Point of Care Resources