- This guideline aims to assist nurses working in diverse practice settings to provide evidence-based oral health care to adults with special needs.
- Those with special needs may include older adults, those who are medically compromised, intellectually challenged, physically challenged, and/or have severe and persistent mental illness.
- The guideline will focus on specific vulnerable populations over the age of 18 years (those who need assistance to meet their oral hygiene needs) and will address:
- Assessment of oral health (incorporating screening);
- Assessment of current oral hygiene practices; and
- Interventions (incorporating care plan development).
Oral Health: Nursing Assessment and Intervention