- Check insulin brand and expiry date.
- Clean the top of the vial with alcohol swab (if desired).
- If the insulin is cloudy, gently roll cloudy insulin to re-suspend. It should look milky.
- Remove the cover from the needle.
- Pull the plunger down until the tip of the plunger is at the line for the number of units you need. Put the needle into the vial and push the air into the vial.
- Turn the vial upside down and slowly push plunger up and down to get rid of air bubbles and then pull plunger down until you have your dose of insulin.
- Check that you have the correct amount of insulin and that there are no large air bubbles in the syringe. Remove the syringe.
- Pinch skin gently and push needle into the skin at a 90° angle. Push plunger down to inject insulin.
Subcutaneous Administration of Insulin in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes
Point of Care Resources