- A nurse’s personal oral hygiene beliefs and practices can affect the oral health care and advice given to their clients.
- To ensure that the oral health needs of the client are met and maintained, the first step is to complete a thorough assessment upon admission.
- This oral health history should identify oral hygiene beliefs and practices so that a plan for care can be developed which will mimic or augment that person’s routine.
- The care provider must determine if the client is able to tend to oral hygiene independently and if not, to what extent interventions are needed.
- Refer to the document below for suggested questions to consider when assessing oral hygiene beliefs, practices and current state of health. Please note these are suggested questions only, and not a validated tool.
To view sample questions for oral hygiene history click here.
Oral Health: Nursing Assessment and Intervention
Point of Care Resources