- How do you expect your life to change after surgery?
- What are your greatest concerns regarding your upcoming surgery?
- How have you been feeling since surgery?
- Have you had any concerns with your ostomy since surgery?
- What changes have you noticed to your activities of daily living since surgery? What challenges have you encountered with performing you activities of daily living since surgery? How have you been managing with these changes?
- Do you have a good support system in place to help you manage these changes to your day-to-day life?
- Sometimes others who undergo the same type of surgery as you have difficulty enjoying things that they used to do. Have you experienced this?
- Do you feel an increase in anxiety in social environments since your surgery?
- Have you been able to return to work?
- Others report a low mood after surgery. How would you describe your mood compared to before your surgery?
- Are you sleeping well?
- How would you describe your appetite compared to before?
- Do you talk to anyone about how you are feeling?
- How has getting the necessary ostomy supplies been for you?
For those who are in committed relationships:
- Some people who have the same surgery as you report feelings of discomfort or anxiety with resuming sexual or intimate activities with their partner. Have you experienced this?
For those who are not in a relationship:
- Some people who have the same surgery as you report that becoming involved in an intimate relationship is problematic. Have you been experiencing this since surgery?
Supporting Adults Who Anticipate or Live with an Ostomy
Point of Care Resources