Ways to facilitate patient communication with others:
- Confirm who else is involved in this decision.
- Establish their role in the decision:
- Sharing the decision making with the patient;
- Not part of making decision, but being aware of decision made by the patient;
- Making the decision for the patient.
- Identify how this person can support the patient in his/her decision making.
- Identify what this person would need to support the patient in his/her decision making:
- More information about the options and potential outcomes;
- To understand the likelihood of potential benefits or risks to the patient;
- To understand what is important to the patient;
- To understand the personal implications of this decision to those close to the patient.
Decision Support for Adults Living with Chronic Kidney Disease
Point of Care Resources