Always ask what the woman needs to be safe and be willing to listen to her needs
Some key principles to remember are:
- Safety is the priority – is she and/or children in danger; what has she done so far and what does she need.
- Each woman is her own expert on her life - respect it.
- Each woman is unique – do not make assumptions about her safety.
- Offer support, information and choices - NOT ADVICE.
- Provide information on local resources like shelter and crisis/help lines.
- Remember your response or lack of response could put the woman and her children at greater risk for harm.
Women and Children
Woman Abuse: Screening, Identification and Initial Response
Point of Care Resources