o Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ) Guide to Patient and Family Engagement in Hospital Quality and Safety
This guide is aims to help patients, families, and health professionals work together as partners to promote improvements in care. The guide focuses on four primary strategies for promoting patient/family engagement in hospital safety and quality of care including:
- Encourage patients and family members to participate as advisors
- Promote better communication among patients, family members, and health care professionals from the point of admission.
- Implement safe continuity of care by keeping the patient and family informed through nurse bedside change-of-shift reports.
- Engage patients and families in discharge planning throughout the hospital stay.
For more information please visit: http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/hospital/engagingfamilies/index.html
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute: Patients for Patient Safety Canada
Patients for Patient Safety Canada is a patient-led program of Canadian Patient Safety Institute. We are the voice of the patient* and bring our safety experiences to help improve patient safety at all levels in the health system.The following link contains videos, documents an stories of patients experiences in the health-care system and provides resources to support patients in their care.
For more information please visit: http://www.patientsforpatientsafety.ca
- Ottawa Hospital Research Institute: Patient Decision Aides
The OHRI Patient Decision Aides provides access to tools to help people become involved in decision making about their health. The following website contains tools, tutorials and supporting evidence to assist people in making decisions.Please note that the tools are designed to complement, rather than replace, counseling from a health-care provider.
For more information please visit: http://decisionaid.ohri.ca