- The treatment of hypertension should be seen as part of a global cardiovascular risk management strategy. Blood pressure control is one of several important components in an anti-atherosclerotic strategy for clients with hypertension. Other factors important in a global cardiovascular risk management plan include the following:
- Lifestyle modifications (including dietary modifications, weight loss and exercise) are strategies that are effective in reducing blood pressure and are critical to global cardiovascular risk reduction . Hypertension can be effectively treated and possibly prevented through lifestyle modifications.
- Consideration of both statins and acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) as part of a cardiovascular protection strategy for clients with hypertension.
- Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitors for clients with established atherosclerotic disease.
- ACE inhibitors or Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARB) for clients with diabetes and kidney disease.
Nursing Management of Hypertension