- There are many types of treatment for opioid addiction. These include but are not limited to:
- MMT and
- Other opioid substitution therapies.
- Treatment goals may include:
- Reduction in the individual’s dependence on opioids and associated harms
- Decrease in morbidity and mortality rates
- Reduction in infectious disease transmission rates
- Improvement in physical and mental health
- Reduction in criminal behaviour and activity; and
- Facilitation of successful reintegration into the community as determined by employment status, education, housing and social functioning (Weekes et al., 2007).
- All treatment must remain client centered. The nurse and other health-care providers must work with each client to establish personal short and long-term goals based on their unique and specific needs, values, beliefs and preferences.
Addiction and Mental Health
Supporting Clients on Methadone Maintenance Treatment
Point of Care Resources