The following frameworks were used to guide the development of this Best Practice Guideline. They provide fundamental prerequisite knowledge and form the basis of each of the recommendations included in this guideline.
The Guiding Frameworks include:
- Social Determinants of Health
- Population Health Promotion Model
- Transtheoretical Model of Change
- Harm Reduction
- Trauma-informed Approaches to Care
- Cultural Competence and Safety
- Recovery Perspective
It is recommended that nurses and other health-care providers receive adequate education and training with respect to these frameworks and apply them in their daily practice.
For more info please refer to Engaging Clients Who Use Substances Best Practice Guideline at www.rnao.ca/substanceuse.