The following approaches have shown some benefit for people with dementia. Please note that not all non- pharmacological approaches are effective or appropriate for everyone. The selection of approaches must be person-centred.
- Listening to music/music therapy
- Effective communication strategies and person-centred approaches to care
- Sensory interventions (e.g. massage, gentle touch or therapeutic touch, and stimulation of the senses - visual, auditory, touch)
- Group activities in care homes (e.g., animal-assisted therapy, dance, cooking, etc.).
- Art therapies (e.g. visual arts, drama/ movement, song writing, poetry, etc)
See complete guideline for more details about these therapies.