“To use a peak flow meter, follow the instructions on the package. In general, these are the steps you can follow:
- Stand up or sit up with a straight back.
- Make sure the indicator is at zero.
- Take a deep breath, seal your lips around the mouthpiece, and blow as hard and as fast as you can into the peak flow meter.
- Write down the reading (your score).
- Set the marker back to zero. Take your peak flow reading two more times. Write down your readings (your score).
- Each time you test your peak flow, do three blows. The best of the three scores is your actual score. That's the score you should write down and show the doctor.
- Check with your asthma action plan to see if you need to make any adjustments to your daily care.”
Adult Asthma Care Guidelines for Nurses: Promoting Control of Asthma
Point of Care Resources