- IPT is a type of psychotherapy that focuses on current concerns, such as social functioning, conflicts, role transitions, grief, and interpersonal deficits.
- Demonstrated benefits of IPT for postpartum depressive symptoms include the following:
- It is an effective first-line treatment for postpartum depression with significant improvements noted in reducing symptom severity, improving recovery, and increasing psychosocial adjustment.
- It can be facilitated by a variety of trained health-professionals, including nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, and general practitioners.
- It features higher rates of recovery when partners are involved and learn how to understand and recognize postpartum depression signs and symptoms.
Women and Children
Assessment and Interventions Perinatal Depression
Point of Care Resources