- Where frequent blood sampling from a client is needed and using the CVAD for blood sampling is indicated, it is important to minimize the number of entries into the central venous system in order to prevent complications.
- Methods for obtaining blood samples from CVADs include:
- Consensus on a preferred single method for blood sampling through a CVAD has not been reached due to the potential complications that can occur with any of these techniques.
- To reduce the total amount of blood loss, nurses can incorporate blood conservation strategies including:
- Peripheral sampling whenever possible and/or when the clinical situation does not preclude the use of peripheral sampling.
- Flushing prior to withdrawing.
Care and Maintenance to Reduce Vascular Access Complications
Point of Care Resources