Risk factors for abuse and neglect include
- lack of support,
- cognitive impairments (i.e., dementia),
- responsive behavioursG (e.g., verbal or physical aggression),
- living with a person who has a mental illness,
- living with people engaging in excessive consumption of alcohol or illegal drugs,
- dependency on others to complete activities of daily living (including banking),
- recent worsening of health, and
- arguing frequently with relatives.
Caution: The presence of risk factors or signs of abuse and neglect does not mean that a person is experiencing abuse or neglect.
Preventing and Addressing Abuse and Neglect of Older Adults: Person-Centred, Collaborative, System-Wide Approaches
Point of Care Resources