The following are examples of possible referrals or consultations, informed by the literature and Expert Panel opinion:
- case manager/care coordinator,
- ethicist/ethics board,
- forensic nurses,
- geriatric emergency management nurses (GEM nurse),
- geriatric outreach team,
- geriatric psychiatrist,
- mental health worker working with older adults,
- occupational therapist,
- police abuse investigators,
- primary care providers,
- public guardian trustee,
- sexual assault nurse examiners (SANE), or
- social worker.
Note: In rural and remote areas there may be limited direct access to specialists. The use of technologies such as Telehealth may be necessary.
Caution: Ensure informed consent prior to conducting detailed assessments and sharing information with the interprofessional team and family members according to privacy and confidentiality regulations.