- Three typical patterns of decline for individuals with cancer, chronic illness and frailty:
- For most cancers there is a short period of obvious decline leading to death.
- The trajectory for patients with chronic organ failure is characterized by long-term disability with periodic exacerbations and unpredictable timing of death.
- For those with frailty and dementia, the pattern is characterized by a slow dwindling course to death.
- To view the end of life trajectoris click here
End-of-Life Care During the Last Days and Hours