- Obtain a baseline history of person’s bowel pattern: type and quantity of stool, frequency and timing of bowel movements, and any straining with bowel movements.
- Assess stool consistency using a Bristol Stool Chart.
- Obtain a seven-day diet history of daily fluid and fibre intake.
- Conduct a review of medications to evaluate their effect on constipation.
- Examine co-morbid conditions that may cause or contribute to constipation.
- Assess the individual’s functional and cognitive status.
- Perform a digital rectal examination to determine fecal impaction
To view practice notes from expert panel click here
A Proactive Approach to Bowel & Bladder Management in Adults
Point of Care Resources